Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Getting started

If my racing instincts hadn't outrun my judgment and ability I'd probably still be a flat track racer, but a late race crash a couple of years ago ended that foolishness. My most understanding wife, Anne Cushman, upon learning of the details of the crash while visiting me in the hospital said, "What were you thinking? It was only a heat race." My response, and the reason I was in a hospital bed, "I had to pass, he was ahead of me." I could give up racing, but I couldn't give up motorcycles. I turned to epic rides. Two years ago it was the Iron Butt Association's "Ultimate Cross Country" ride from Key West to Prudhoe Bay. This year it will be the Southern California Motorcycle Association's Four Corners Tour: Key West, FL., San Ysidro, CA, Blaine, WA and Madawaska, ME. Along the way I'll visit family and friends and try to pick out some unusual sights and encounters to share with you. I hope you'll come along for the ride. If you are interested in the Florida to Alaska trip, google "Bender's Big Adventure."

6 comments:

Andy Beeson said...

Godspeed Jay! I look forward to following your Four Corners Tour through your website and wife, and hope you have a safe and wonderful adventure!

Burt Smith said...

Have a great trip Jay. Wondering if Ann will meet you somewhere along the way with Some Bombay Gin for a martini. Give Ray our best and don't embarass yourselve on the golf course with him. Be safe and always cautious.

Burt and Inez Smith

Mary - the pretty one said...

Well here he comes again - my (much) older brother the excitement (or was that exhaustion) junkie! Can't wait for him to join my husband and me in the Great Northwest. We plan to ride a ways with him on our Harley. Keep the rubber side down, the paint side up, and the rain gear handy, Brother. I love you.

Clete2 said...

I turned on my TV just now and saw a news spot on ABC about your trip. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I wish I could go along. ;) I frequently drive up the east coast to Pennsylvania (I'm in Columbia, SC) and places around that area.

Todd - inheritor of Jay's free spirit said...

After watching him tinker with (show off)all of his new gadgets Friday night, I didn't think he was ever going to leave town.

Ride it like you stole it!!!

Bucephalus said...

Is this the same rabble-rouser that drove a strange car around the 5 Points area in the 70's? I'm glad I found this blog at the beginning of your great adventure - I'm hooked. I'm especially interested in how the GS does along the way. Take lots of pictures, post often, get home in one piece.