Saturday, May 26, 2007

Into the Wisconsin woods





Rooking east on U.S. 2 from Superior I had some views of Lake Superior, but mostly what I saw was woods.

Into these woods there are trails for all terrain vehicles, snowmobiles and cross country skiing. Out of thes woods come deer. It is because of the deer that I had time to read all of these signs. I've hit enough deer on this trip.

Breakfast was at the Rustic Roost in Iron River, Wisconsin. I think it is the summer home of retired Green Bay Packer football players. I don't think I ever been in a place with more very large old guys walking around like their knees hurt.

The special breakfast was country fried steak, hash browns, two eggs and toast. I didn't have it. My next research will be to determine the location of the grits and sweet tea line. There are no grits up here, you betcha.

As I was robing up for the resumption of the ride Wayne and Ruth Crozier came up for a chat. The are Gold Wing riders so we shared tales of the road. As I was talking with the Croizers Clarence and Kathy Osmak came up. They were wearing Harley clothing and admitted to being Harley riders. Clarence said he had ridden his Harley to Alaska a couple years ago.

I saw quite a few Harleys being ridden in Alaska, and I've seen a fair number this trip. I was figuring that since Harley was started in Milwaukee it probably wouldn't be a good place to tell my Harley joke. Do you know how to tell a guy who rides a Harley? He has a trailer hitch on his car. (For those of you who have wandered into this site without having the motorcycle disease, the point of the joke is that Harley owners seem to spend a lot of time trailering their bikes to places rather than riding to places).

The Croziers and Osmaks directed me to the Ashland Library for access to the Internet. The library is in an old building in the historic downtown section of Ashland. Ashland is a port on Lake Superior. There must have been a great deal of rain in this area lately because the lake is very muddy. Big, too.

Looking out the window of the library I see a mural saluting Ashland residents who have served in the Armed Forces. One of the librarians said that the people in the mural are real people from Ashland. Since this is the Memorial Day weekend, I've included a portion of the mural as a salute to all veterans. I wish we would stop creating them.

3 comments:

Todd - inheritor of Jay's free spirit said...

So I checked the sat service to see where he was...he appears to be in the middle of the lake. I knew he had several accessories installed on the BMW but I didn't know about the flotation devices. They must have been added during the dealer service back in Texas!

mary-the pretty one said...

tsk tsk tst - there he goes telling that tired old Harley joke again - I notice he got very far away from here before dragging it out 'cause he knows the Harley in this family doesn't get hauled anywhere - it gets ridden! Oh well, old age and envy - what are ya gonna do?
As for the deer - don't they have something called a deer alarm that attaches to the bike? Check out an auto parts store - that could keep both you and the deer safe - a high priority for all of us who love you in spite of (or maybe a little because of) your idiosyncrasies.

Andy - the one who likes Holly said...

Todd, when the sat service indicated that JJB had veered into a lake in Wisconsin, I naturally became concerned that the "detour" happened after an impromptu factory tour (and tasting) at Schlitz Brewery. If so, let’s just hope he'd installed those accessories you mentioned!